Pupils Day/ Eilert Sundt Elevdagen, 24 November 2022
The Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence participated in the Pupils Day “Eilert Sundt Elevdagen“. At this yearly event, UiA researchers from the Faculty of Social Sciences give short and easily understandable presentations to inspire pupils to conduct their own research project. The event was attended by over 800 pupils on UiA’s campus and more via live stream. Jean Monnet Group members gave three presentations on topics related to Europe:
Meet an Agder Researcher, 9 November 2022
On 9 November 2022, Maryna Rabinovych took part in the Meet an Agder Researcher initiative, whereby high school pupils and teachers can meet a researcher from the University of Agder and get insights into various topics. Titled “Understanding Ukraine: War, International Politics and External Relations”, Maryna’s talk aimed to provide teachers of the Kristiansand Katedralskole Gimle with background knowledge about Ukrainian history and politics and discuss internal politics and foreign relations perspectives as to the current war. The event was attended by more than 30 teachers and followed by an intense discussion.
Saturday University/ Lørdagsuniversitetet, 5 November 2022
Jarle Trondal gave a lecture on “Europe in Crisis”.
Jean Monnet Mini-Modules
Since the start of the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, its members have offered or invited colleagues for Jean Monnet Mini-Modules, that is, guest lectures on topics related to European integration across Departments and Faculties. The aim of these guest lectures is to provide students with perspectives beyond their own field and to enhance the interdisciplinary cooperation of researchers. So far, ten Mini-Modules have been organised.
Book Launch, 15 September 2022
The Routledge Handbook of Differentiation in the European Union was launched at CEPS in Brussels. The event included presentations by:
- Steven Blockmans, Director of Research, CEPS
- Angelina Eichhorst, Managing Director Europe, EEAS
- Sieglinde Gstöhl, Director of the Department of EU International Relations and Diplomacy Studies at the College of Europe
- Stefan Gänzle, Professor of Political Science and Head of the Department of Political Science and Management, University of Agder
- Jarle Trondal, Professor of Public Administration at the University of Agder and Adjunct Professor at the Centre for European Studies, University of Oslo (ARENA)
- Anne Pintsch, Associate Professor at the the University of Agder and Coordinator of the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence
- Benjamin Leruth, Assistant Professor in European Politics and Society at the University of Groningen (online)
- Maryna Rabinovych, Post-Doctoral Researcher at the University of Agder
- Dylan Macchiarini Crosson, Researcher, CEPS
Meet the Ambassador, 21 June 2022
On 21 June 2022, the EU Ambassador to Norway, HE Nicolas de La Grandville, visited the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence and the European Integration Summer School (EISS). He gave a lecture on “The European Union and Norway – Navigating Together in a Turbulent World”.
The lecture was followed by a panel discussion with:
- Erik Rostoft, Deputy Mayor of Kristiansand
- Sunniva Whitaker, Rector, UiA
- Isabelle-Louise Aabel, EU Advisor, GCE Node
- Christophe Pinck, International Affairs and EU Advisor, Eyde
- Nicolas de La Grandville, EU Ambassador to Norway
- Moderation: Clare P. Jortveit and Stefan Gänzle, UiA
Interdisciplinary Trans-Nordic Conference on European Differentiated Integration, 1-2 June 2022
On 1 and 2 June 2022, the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence hostet a trans-nordic interdisciplinary conference on European Differentiated Integration at UiA. The conference brought together scholars, journalists, and practitioners.
Saturday University/ Lørdagsuniversitetet, 6 November 2021
Romulo Pinheiro gave lecture on “Europe of Knowledge”:
Arendalsuka, 17 August 2021
As part of the UiA- arrangement in Arendal, the Jean Monnet Centre organized a panel debate on the Nordic Region as an area for joint policy development.
Norden – en arena for felles politikkutvikling eller prateklubb i skyggen av EU?
Nordisk Ministerråd fyller 50 år i år. Hvordan står det egentlig til med det nordiske samarbeidet i dag? Er det en jubilant i midtlivskrise eller er det (fortsatt) politisk kraft i samarbeidet? Hvor integrert er Norden og hvilken plass og tyngde har et samlet Norden i politikkutformingen i Europa? Da Finland og Sverige gikk inn i EU i 1995 var flere bekymret for fremtiden til det nordiske samarbeidet. Hvilken rolle spiller EU – og hvordan forholder Norden seg til europeisk integrasjon?
- Jan Erik Grindheim, Førsteamanuensis, Universitetet i Sør Øst Norge
- Michael Tetzschner, Stortingsrepresentantant, Utenriks og forsvarskomiteen
- Kjerstin Lianes Kjøndal, Phd Kandidat, Universitetet i Agder
- Anne Elizabeth Stie, Førsteamanuensis, Universitetet i Agder
- Martin Stangborli Time, Phd Kandidat, Universitetet i Agder
For the full panel programme, please see here:
Europe Conference, 6 May 2021
On 6 May 2021, the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence was formally openend at The European Conference for Democracy and Human Rights . The opening ceremony was followed by a panel discussion on the current state of democracy in Europe, the tools and possibilities that international organizations have to advance the democratic development of their member states, and the challenges these organizations face in their activities.
|Pieter de Wilde||Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Professor|
|Stefan Gänzle||University of Agder, Professor, Head of the Department of Political Science and Management|
|Marianne Riddervold||Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences, Professor/ Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI), Researcher|
|Anne Elizabeth Stie||University of Agder, Associate Professor (moderator)|
|Jarle Trondal||University of Agder, Professor|
For the full programme, please see here:
Open Day at UiA/ UiA Åpen Dag, 9 March 2021
The Jean Monnet Centre’s video contribution on “EU og Brexit forklart” (EU and Brexit explained) can be accessed here.